Friday, March 4, 2011

Vancouver Whitecaps Sign Eric Hassli As Designated Player

Finally Whitecaps fans's prayers have been answered! Fans continuously asked for a designated player and a forward, and now they've got both in the form of Eric Hassli. But... are they really that happy? I'll admit it, when I saw that the Whitecaps signed Eric Hassli as their designated player, I was slightly disappointed. Maybe my aspirations of Samuel Eto'o or David Villa were a little high, but I expected someone a bit more... well known.

Yet as I peruse the Interweb for information regarding Hassli, I'm slowly becoming a happier and happier Whitecaps fan. After looking around at videos, statistics, and any other piece of information I could find about the French forward, I understood that this signing is a smart one. I'm actually excited to see the forward play, because I have a feeling like he can add quite a bit to the team.

Here are the reactions to Hassli's signing from coach Teitur along with Alain Rochat, who played with him at FC Zurich:




Looking at Hassli's career, he has spent his past few years at FC Zurich. Hassli collected 84 appearances and 27 goals for the club, making himself known as a strong player with technical ability. When Hassli first arrived at Zurich, the fans mocked him because of his lack of fitness and poor playing. Yet after a wonder-season for Zurich in 2008/09, Hassli won the fans over. Now, at almost 30 years-old Hassli moves to the Whitecaps to begin a new adventure in the MLS.

It's tough to make proper conclusions regarding the Whitecaps's first designated player. While it's not a flashy name like Saha or someone else, it is someone with European experience who seems ready to give his all for his new team.

From what I've seen on Hassli, this goal is probably his best, take a look for yourself:




Or maybe this rocket shot?




Or what about this fine piece of skill?




On Wikipedia it says that Hassli's idol is Ronaldo (the original one), and you can see how he has modeled himself on the Brazilian. The same burst of energy, strength, and technical ability which makes a complete striker. Coach Teitur said, "He completes our roster", but hopefully Hassli will do much more than just complete the roster. I'm hoping that Hassli can be the forward which the Whitecaps need, a goalscoring forward.

What are your thoughts on Hassli? Are you disappointed? Are you looking forward to seeing the Frenchman play? Share your comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment