Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lions With Scarves: Promoting Genius

On the way to my soccer game I snapped this quick picture
I have to say, the Whitecaps have impressed me. I'm not really talking about on the field results (most recently a 2-2 draw with the U-18 USA mens national team), I'm talking more about the promotion campaign which has been taking place the past few days.

While the image to the right might look like just some poorly taken, cell-phone camera snapshot of the beginning of the Lionsgate bridge, it's much more than that. If you look closely amid the motion blur and lack of pixels, you'll see a lion proudly wearing a Whitecaps scarf. Yes my friends, the Lionsgate bridge lions have been dressed with Whitecaps gear, and that's not all the promotion which has been going on.

On February 17th, there were 30 days left until the Whitecaps kicked off their first MLS match against Toronto FC. And so, the Whitecaps marketing people have decided that each day something special is going to happen, and a video about it will be posted. Along with littering Whitecaps gear (and giving away free scarves) around important statues and places, the Whitecaps have also got Sushi master-chef Tojo to make a special Whitecaps roll, and interviewed some fans who have been supporting the 'Caps for decades.

I have to say that this has truly impressed me. I don't think I've seen so much effort gone into promoting something like the Whitecaps have done, and I'm sure it will pay off. Promoting genius in my opinion.

Here's the three videos below, and each day until kick-off a new one is going to be released. I highly suggest you check out the Whitecaps FC website, or download the application to stay up to date at TheCountdownBegins.ca. I recommend for you to watch all three videos, because they're well done, and a joy for any Whitecaps fan to watch.





0 comments:

Post a Comment