Monday, May 30, 2011

Let the Chaos Reign: Teitur Thordarson Dismissed

For one post, I will speak my mind. It will be a sort of verbal diarrhea, because I don't think I'll be containing anything I want to say regarding the Whitecaps coach being dismissed. This post is entitled "Let the Chaos Reign" not only because of my fears of what might happen to the Whitecaps, but also because I won't be talking about just the dismissal of Teitur. I'll be talking about the steps I think the club should take for a brighter future. So let the chaos reign for this one post where speak my mind without holding back.

Let's make one thing clear, results haven't been the best. In fact, being a Whitecaps fan has been a little frustrating, with continuous 1-1 draws and the overall inability to win an MLS match since opening day. It has been tiring, depressing, and just about every other negative descriptive word watching the Whitecaps over the past weeks. 

But among this ocean of inability to reach victory, there were the great moments. The wonderful moments when something 'clicked' perfectly, whether it be a killer pass by Chiumiento or a magical stepover by Hassli. And those moments seemed fueled by the man watching from the sidelines, who among his multiple tactical failures was able to make the little things work. 

The little things, like team spirit and like a physically prepared team. These little things have been making this every minute of every disappointing draw or desperate loss worth watching. It's because while there were many problems, Teitur Thordarson was managing to fix them, one by one, little by little.

I'm very disappointed with this dismissal. I find it to be too sudden. For a team in their first year in the MLS, we can afford to come last. It shouldn't be all about the results right now. It should be about crafting a true identity for a team which just got rid of the closest thing they had to one. 

These two are rarely the tallest on the field, but they're
often the ones who make the biggest difference.
Teitur worked with the players he was given. He was given many tall, strong, and physically prepared players. While most Whitecaps players can outrun a cheetah (not actually, but you get what I mean), there is also a group of players which lack proper technique. By technique I mean: first touch, dribbling, and passing. 

I might be a little picky, and maybe I'm expecting too much, but I want to see a team comprised of technically skilled individuals. I want to see players who can "keep the ball on the ground", beat a defender without having to hopefully toe punt it by him and race around him, and keep possession from the opponents. Often-times, a player I'm envisioning isn't above six feet, they're small and compact. Quick with their feet and minds, without needing to barge opponents off the ball. 

I've been mulling over this in my head for quite a few weeks, and the recent Champions League final which was played out convinced me that maybe I was on to something. Because if you look at the winning Barcelona team, the best players in that side aren't tall or big, they're smart and technically capable. While the Whitecaps won't be signing Xavi or Iniesta anytime soon, trying to head towards a more technical game could be the step forward for the team, and maybe for all of the MLS to take.

Thank you for everything you have done Teitur.

2 comments:

JES said...

I have to disagree with a couple of points you made. I didn't see TT " fix them [the problems], one by one, little by little.", I saw them repeating the same mistakes over and over. I have watched TT coach for over 3 years now and it is always the same "kick and run". I get so tired of seeing the ball punted up aimlessly up the field, soft turnovers, wayward shooting and lack of results from set pieces. TT hasn't sorted any of these things out over 3 years, there was no hope of him fixing it in the remaining 21 games. Remember, last year under TT we score 32 goals in 30 games.

Player selections: TT asked for these kinds of players (tall, fast, etc)and Tom Sohen went out and got them for him. You don't seriously think that TT had no input on player selection do you? TT got what he wanted and he got them 90% of the way there, he was just incapable of going the last 10%

Lastly, despite being and expansion team (I prefer to think of us as a promoted team) we have tens of millions of dollars of sponsorship money riding on the outcome of this season. How many of those sponsors will want to be associated next season if we become the "Team that holds the record for the fewest wins in a season" AKA the team of losers. We are not in the kid's sandbox anymore, we can not afford to keep someone around because "he is a nice guy" or he might, one day, maybe, get a win out of this team.

NC said...

First of all, thanks for the comment.

Looking at whether TT fixed the problems or not is a pretty strange argument. In the end, he didn't fix most of them or else he'd probably still have a job. But I still feel that if given time, they would've eventually been sorted out.

Regarding the players and style, maybe I should've griped against TT's choices of players, because I feel that the current crop of players really isn't that good.

And finally, I'm pretty worried about sponsors. With all the buzz and good noise before the start of the season (and after the win against TFC), it was easy to get behind the Whitecaps. Now, I'm not so sure. We'll just have to wait and hope that the big players stay on board and believe in the Whitecaps.

Thanks again for the comment!

Post a Comment